Where I've been featured!

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

About a perfect moment on a perfect day.


Hi All,

As a mom, I'm going to share this moment.

Just to let you know... Today was M's last attempt to qualify for states in gymnastics.

She missed it by .5 tenths of a point. Not bad for an eight year old.

But numbers don't matter to my gracious girl who was congratulating other gymnasts for their jobs well done. As I heard her tell another gymnast "congratulations", I was so proud. We have been working hard teaching her that while scores are important, they aren't everything. We want her to enjoy every moment, the ups AND the downs. And to my surprise, she hasn't hit a single "down". After every competition, I ask her how she felt and I always get a big smile.

Not once has she felt disappointed or discouraged.

So, as I sat with pride, watching the award ceremony, I was shocked as they called her name to receive a medal for every event except for one.. the bars. Turns out, she competed very well and the judges were scoring everyone low.

So here's the down and dirty :)

Floor excercise...7th
Vault 5th
Beam (oh my gosh she bombed on this last week :).....whoo hoo 3rd place !

Overall, she finished a very respectable 7th place.

Driving home, I asked her if she could pick anything about gymnastics that she really liked and what would it be. Her answer,
"Mommy, I really like staying at the hotels with you and especially the team lunches after each competition."

Then I thought of all the little gymnasts who were in tears because they didn't make it and I looked at my little girl with pride. She was happy, content and ready to do it all over again next year. She has known some of these girls since she was 3 years old and was happy for every one of them. She jumped for joy when her teammate won a gold medal. She was sad with those who didn't. One of her teammates ended up falling. I watched very one of the girls huddled around her for love, support and an understanding that only athletes can understand. It was a careful, gentle circle and so strongly protective, my heart was about to explode. I can go on and on but I'm afraid I'll make myself cry. I am so proud of every one of our 9 gymnasts..... Alone they are talented and incredible .......but, TOGETHER they are FIERCE! I dare anyone to stand in their path!


So 10 years from now, when M looks back on this time in her life, she won't remember where she stood on the podium.

......But she will remember the girls she held hands with at lunches. She'll remember screeching (that awful sound little girls make) in the public bathrooms. She'll remember the late night swims at the hotels (sorry Brian). She'll remember cartwheel contests down the hotel hallways and the overnighters at the gymnasium. And, She'll remember standing on the floor matt waiting for the music to start, knowing that her best buds are there with her, waiting to give her a hug when she finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment